Derivative Classification IF103.16
Description: This course explains how to derivatively classify national security information from a classification management perspective. The course describes the process and methods for derivatively classifying information; identifies authorized sources to use when derivatively classifying information and explains how to apply authorized sources, through derivatively classifying information based on the concepts of contained in, revealed by, and compilation. The course also discusses the responsibilities associated with derivatively classifying information, to include avoidance of over-classification, classification prohibitions and limitations, information sharing, classification challenges, and security incidents and sanctions.
Course Resources: Access this course's resources
Learning Objectives: This course is designed to enable students to:
- Identify responsibilities associated with derivatively classifying information
- Identify processes and methods for derivatively classifying information
- Identify authorized sources to use when derivatively classifying information
- Apply authorized sources to derivatively classify information based on the concepts of "contained in," "revealed by," and compilation
- Explain limitations and prohibitions of classifying information and ways to promote information sharing
- Identify processes for managing classification challenges, security incidents, and sanctions
Delivery Method: eLearning
Length: 1.5 hours
Target Audience: DoD military, civilian and contractor personnel who are responsible for derivatively classifying national security information
Number of students per class: N/A
- General Requirements: N/A
- Clearance Requirements: N/A
- Attendance Requirement: N/A
- Exam Requirements: A passing score of 75 percent on the final exam allows students to print a certificate of successful completion.
- ACE Credit Recommendation: (What's this?): In association with IF201.CU, IS030.CU, GS101.01, and GS101.10
- Professional Development Units (PDU) per SPēD: 4.5
System Requirements: Check if your system is configured appropriately to use STEPP.
CDSE courses are intended for use by Department of Defense and other U.S. Government personnel and contractors within the National Industrial Security Program.