Benefits of Certification
Fosters understanding of the concepts and principles deemed critical to protect the Nation's assets. Provides nationally-accredited and recognized credential transportable across the DoD, Federal Government, and Industry.
Provides a reference to determine an individual's understanding of the concepts and principles deemed critical to protect the Nation's assets and a source to increase workforce productivity. Identifies competent, mission-ready professionals and promotes interoperability.
For the Profession
Defines consistent standards which build upon professionalizing the workforce. Provides a structure for certificants to maintain competencies and assure their mission readiness.
The 11 Steps to SPēD Testing
- Notify your supervisor of your intent to participate in the SPēD Certification Program.
- Log in to (or create) your Security Training, Education, and Professionalization Portal (STEPP) account. If you have previously participated in the SPēD Certification Program, have a My SPēD Certification (MSC) account , and have tested at a Pearson VUE testing facility, skip to step 8.
- Edit your STEPP profile page by selecting the edit profile link located on the top right-hand navigation bar.
- Once on the STEPP edit profile page, scroll down to the third drop down tab and expand the "General User Information" navigation bar. Check the box next to "SPēD Certification Program" to indicate your desire to participate in the SPēD Certification Program.
- Once you check the box a message prompt will appear. Read the message and click "OK."
- You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours with a link and a verification code to your new MSC account. Please note: MSC is a non-DoD commercial website.
- Verify your MSC account information using the verification code, and create your user ID and password.
- Sign in to your MSC account. Under "Forms" on the left-hand navigation bar, click "Complete a Form."
- From the "New Forms" tab, select, complete, and submit your Assessment Request Form.
- Schedule your test once you receive the email notifying you that your request has been approved.
- After you have scheduled your appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with important information for test day, including directions to the test center.
Retaking a SPēD Certification Assessment
If you do not achieve a passing score on your first attempt, cancel within 24 hours of the test time, or are a "no-show," you must wait 90 days to become eligible to test. Your My SPēD Certification (MSC) account will automatically change your status to "Eligible to Test" after this 90-day period and allow you to schedule a new assessment through Pearson VUE. If you have not achieved a passing score after two attempts, the third and any subsequent attempt will require authorization from your owning DoD Component or DoD SPēD PMO.