• Educate Yourself
  • Review Policy
  • Raise Awareness
  • Report Unauthorized Disclosure or Questionable Activities
  • Incident Response
  • If you see or suspect Unauthorized Disclosure.
  • If you see or suspect questionable government activities.

Reporting Unauthorized Disclosure

With diligent reporting, the consequences of unauthorized disclosure can be mitigated. If you see or suspect unauthorized disclosure, first take steps to protect the classified information. Then report to your organization's security officer. If you are a DoD employee, report the incident to your security manager. If you are a cleared contractor, report the incident to your Facility Security Officer (FSO) who will, in turn, report it to your company's Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency Industrial Security Representative (DCSA IS Rep).

Consider the following resources for more information on reporting unauthorized disclosure or attempts to solicit classified information:

For Security Managers and other responsible authorities within the components, the CMIS Security Incident Database is the Department of Defense System of Record for the tracking and oversight of all UD's and Serious Security Incidents. It is located on SIPR at: https://ousdi.csd.disa/smil.mil. Accounts for the system are created and managed by the DITMAC UD PMO. CMIS allows you to:

  • Track incidents
  • Get examples of reporting formats
  • Easily download charts for statistics
  • Can be used by components to track other security incidents

Unauthorized Disclosures can be emailed to the DITMAC UD PMO via group accounts:

.SIPR: dss.quantico.dss-hq.mbx.ditmac-unauthorized-disclosure@mail.smil.mil
.JWICS: DITMAC.UD@dss.ic.gov

Access the DITMAC UD intelink site for more information: https://intelshare.intelink.gov/sites/ousdi/hcis/sec/icdirect/ud/default.aspx/

Reporting Questionable Government Activities

The Whistleblower Protection Act (PPD-19) protects employees from direct retaliation for acts of reporting protected disclosures. It does NOT protect employees who unlawfully disclose classified information. Report questionable government activity to your supervisor or your organization's security officer. If you are not comfortable reporting to these sources, other avenues are available including the DoD Senior Intelligence Oversight Official, the DoD Inspector General, the US Attorney General, and the DoD Hotline.

Consider these resources for more information:

Toolkit feedback/suggestions? Email dcsa.cdsetraining@mail.mil.