Frequently Asked Questions
- What is SPēD Certification Maintenance?
- How do I maintain my certification(s)?
- What happens if I fail to maintain my certification(s)?
- My certification expired. How do I get it back?
- What is a professional development unit (PDU)? What counts as a PDU?
- How long do I have to complete my certification maintenance?
- Can I get an extension to complete my certification maintenance?
- What is a certification renewal form (CRF)? Where do I find the CRF?
- What happens after I submit my certification renewal form (CRF)?
- Why do I need to maintain my certification(s), anyway?
Can I get an extension to complete my certification maintenance?
You may request a Certification Maintenance Waiver for an extension to complete your maintenance requirements due to deployment, hospitalization or other medical leave, or other extraordinary reason.
If you are an employee or contractor for the Department of Defense (DoD) or one of its Components, agencies, or companies, submit your Waiver Request Form to your SPēD Certification Program point of contact (POC).
If you are an employee or contractor for the Defense Security Service (DSS), Industry, or other participating agency without a SPēD Certification Program POC, submit your Waiver Request Form through the DoD SPēD Certification PMO (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Supporting documentation, such as unclassified duty orders or doctor's note, must accompany your Waiver Request Form.
You will receive notification of your waiver decision within 20 duty days of receipt of your waiver request by the appropriate authority.