Upcoming Changes To Certification Maintenance And Renewal Policies
New certification maintenance and renewal policies and procedures will go into effect on October 1. To transition to the new policy, currently certified individuals (who are within their two-year renewal window) will have until September 30 to either 1) submit Certification Renewal Forms (CRFs) under the existing renewal policy, or 2) wait to submit under the new policy. Certificants who expire prior to October 1 must renew under the current policy. Certificants who are conferred or renew after October 1 will operate under the new policy.
These new policy changes include:
- Professional Development Units (PDUs) based on level of effort
- Updated and expanded PDU categories
- Single expiration date across all certifications/credentials
- Single CRF form
- Maintenance periods based upon the candidate initiating an action (e.g., submitting a form in the My SPēD system or attaining a new SPēD Certification). This period remains at two years for each cycle.
**Certificants are ultimately responsible for ensuring their certifications are maintained in accordance with program maintenance and renewal guidelines**
Stay tuned for more information, including updated handbooks and webpages.
There is still time to register for our August webinars:
NBIS The Future of Personnel Vetting
Thursday, August 18, 2022
1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. ET
Please join us for a live webinar with policy experts from the National Background Investigation Services (NBIS), the Federal Government's one-stop-shop IT system for end-to-end personnel vetting.
Physical Security Posture: Security-In-Depth (SID)
Wednesday, August 31, 2022
1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. ET
Please join us for a live webinar about security-in-depth, which is a determination by the senior agency official that a facility security program consists of layered and complimentary security controls.
Visit Webinars and Conferences to sign up for both events and join the discussion!
September DOD Security Specialist Course
The next DOD Security Specialist Course (SSC) is scheduled to start September 12, 2022 and is entirely virtual! The four-week, virtual SSC provides students a baseline of fundamental knowledge to perform common DOD security tasks and practices. It incorporates industrial, information, personnel, and physical security disciplines to understand their interrelationships, related policies, programs, and procedures.
To learn more, register, and view the required prerequisites, visit https://www.cdse.edu/Training/Virtual-Instructor-led-Courses/GS101/
Sign Up For Fall Education Courses
Registration is still open for the fall semester of CDSE Education classes that run from August 22 to December 18, 2022. There are 14 courses available during the fall semester. Several of the courses are full, but seats are still available in some courses, including the following:
- Writing and Communication Skills for Security Professionals (ED 201) - This course is an exploration of the skills and behaviors that contribute to success in oral and written communications. It is focused on the specific written and oral communication skills needed by a DOD security professional.
- Organizational Considerations in Applying Security within the Federal and DOD Bureaucracy (ED 502) - This course presents an in-depth look at how to work within the Federal and DOD bureaucracy to accomplish security missions and objectives. The course will address how security professionals can support military operations and DOD programs most effectively.
- Understanding Adversaries and Threats to the United States and the DOD (ED 504) – This course specifically addresses the intentions and capabilities of the three to five most significant adversaries to the United States and to DOD. It also addresses counterintelligence, counterterrorism, insider threats, threats to critical information systems, embezzlement, physical sabotage, violence in the workplace by disgruntled employees, and others that must be addressed by the senior security manager.
Learn more about all of the classes being offered and register for them by accessing the Education Courses.
To register, log into the Security, Training, Education, and Professionalization Portal (STEPP).
If you have any questions, or need additional information, please send inquiries to: email@example.com.
Connect with CDSE on Twitter (@TheCDSE ) and on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TheCDSE ).