Description: This course provides an in-depth study of the basis and application of due process in unfavorable national security determinations. The course emphasizes evaluation and resolution of complex and multiple issue cases.
Learning Objectives: This course is designed to enable students to:
- Apply and demonstrate the advanced skills required to make final national security eligibility determinations and administer applicable due process procedures.
- Analyze, identify and adjudicate significant derogatory information during initial, post-adjudicative and reconsideration reviews.
- Prepare Statement of Reasons (SOR), review replies to SOR(s) and document final national security determinations after drawing a conclusion based on analysis of pertinent facts.
Delivery Method: Virtual Instructor-led Training (VILT)
Length: 30 hours over two weeks
Target Audience: This course is intended for Department of Defense (DOD) civilian (GG-11 level and above) and military personnel who perform due process duties in conjunction with national security eligibility determinations for access to classified information or assignment to sensitive duties. Course is also open to adjudicators at the GG-9 level subject to approval. Nominations for attendance must be approved and made through agency training coordinator or designee.
- Clearance Requirements: N/A
- Attendance Requirements: Students must complete all exercises and participate in forum discussions.
- Exam Requirements: Students must earn 160 points out of 200, an 80 percent grade average, on course exams and performance exercises.
Prerequisites: Successful completion of the Fundamentals of National Security Adjudication (PS101.01 or PS101.10) course and currently performing in an adjudicative or related position for the past 12 months, or, at least 6 months of on-the-job experience after successful completion of the Fundamentals of National Security Adjudication (PS101.01 or PS101.10) course.
System Requirements: Check if your system is configured appropriately to use STEPP.
CDSE courses are intended for use by Department of Defense and other U.S. Government personnel and contractors within the National Industrial Security Program.