Description: This curriculum provides specialized training for personnel managing an Insider Threat program. It is designed to equip students with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to conduct their duties. EO 13587, National Minimum Standards for Insider Threat, NISPOM Change 2, and DODD 5205.16 mandate the establishment of insider threat programs designed to detect, deter, and mitigate risks associated with trusted insiders to include the ability to gather, retain, and assess data. These policies required that multidisciplinary teams be established to include counterintelligence, law enforcement, human resources (HR), behavioral science, legal, and security components, including cybersecurity. It is essential that management personnel understand the role of each of these disciplines within the Insider Threat Program. They must establish an Insider Threat program to enable personnel to identify viable response options ranging from administrative actions, security violations or infractions, and referrals to HR, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), law enforcement, and/or military department (MILDEP) counterintelligence. Management personnel must process Insider Threat matters in such a manner that potential future investigational viability and/or operational capability are preserved and privacy and civil liberties of the workforce are respected. Most departments and agencies recommend that all Insider Threat program personnel have some level of formal training in Counterintelligence (CI) and security principles, techniques, and tools. CI and security expertise is critical within a program’s integration and analysis hub to analyze information, investigate, and resolve insider threat concerns.
Learning Objectives: Students shall demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of policies and requirements for the establishment of an insider threat program and basic hub operations, including the multidisciplinary nature of an insider threat program. They shall understand the roles and responsibilities of each of the disciplines within the Insider Threat Program. Students shall be able to identify viable response options and be able to process insider threat matters in such a manner that potential future investigational viability and/or operational capability are preserved. Students will identify their responsibilities for protecting the privacy and civil liberties of the workforce. Students will understand the fundamentals of counterintelligence awareness and security principles.
Delivery Method: eLearning
Length: 24.25 hours (includes courses and exams)
Target Audience: DOD component, industry, and federal agency professionals responsible for managing an Insider Threat program for their unit or facility.
Number of Students per Course: N/A
- Clearance Requirements: None
- Attendance Requirements: N/A
- Exam Requirements: Students must earn a 75 percent grade on course exams and the comprehensive Final Exam.
- List of Courses and Exams
All courses and any associated exams must be completed in the STEPP learning management system to receive credit under this curriculum. Courses completed under the Security Awareness Hub will not be eligible for credit toward this certificate. This curriculum requires completion of the following courses and exams:
- Introduction to Personnel Security Course and Exam PS113
- Unauthorized Disclosure (UD) of Classified Information and Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI) Course and Exam IF130
- Counterintelligence Awareness and Reporting for DOD Employees Course and Exam CI116
- DOD Security Principles Video GSV0043
- Developing a Multidisciplinary Capability for Insider Threat Course and Exam INT201
- Active Shooter Awareness Short GS105
- Insider Threat Mitigation Responses Course and Exam INT210
- Preserving Investigative and Operational Viability in Insider Threat Referrals Course and Exam INT220
- Insider Threat Basic Hub Operations Course and Exam INT240
- Insider Threat Privacy and Civil Liberties Course and Exam INT260
- Maximizing Organizational Trust Course and Exam INT270
- Cyber Insider Threat Course and Exam INT280
- Behavioral Science and Insider Threat Course and Exam INT290
- Establishing an Insider Threat Program Course and Exam INT122
- Insider Threat Program Management Personnel Curriculum Final Exam INT302
Other Recommended Training:
- For DOD employees and contractors: DITMAC Short INT100.16
- For industry employees and contractors: Adverse Information Reporting Short PS007.16
System Requirements: Check if your system is configured appropriately to use STEPP.
CDSE courses are intended for use by Department of Defense and other U.S. Government personnel and contractors within the National Industrial Security Program.