Additional Resources for you to Explore
Watch the full ransomware infection video
- Cybersecurity Awareness eLearning CS130.16 [description] [register]
- Privileged User Cybersecurity Responsibilities DS-IA112.06 [description] [register ]
- Phishing Awareness DS-IA103.06 [description] [register]
- Webinar: Developing an Incident Response Capability
Policy and Regulation
The evolution of ransomware
- 1989: PC Cyborg. Hid files and encrypted names; asked users to pay $189 to get 'repair tool'
- 1996: Researchers Adam Young and Moti Yung showed that PC Cyborg wasn't very effective, because the key was easy to recover without paying. They released a proof-of-concept cryptovirus that used stronger encryption, and they noted that such an attack could be used for extortion
- By 2005: really the rise of ransomware. Multiple versions with greater key sizes
- 2008: first considered unbreakable with 1024 bit RSA key: Gpcode.AK
- Today: multiple variants like CryptoLocker, CryptoWall
Contact the CDSE
Cybersecurity Training Team!