- Immediately protect the information
- Report unauthorized disclosure
Consider the following resources for more information on securing classified information, including information on the internet or other media formats, negligent discharge of classified information (NDCI) or "spills", and spills involving controlled unclassified information (CUI).
Security Personnel and Other Authorities
- Investigate the incident
- Impose sanctions
- Report to Congress, if required
- Conduct damage assessment
Consider the following resources for more information on incident response, including those involving special access program, controlled unclassified information, and data spills; potential required reporting to the FBI, DSCA, OUSD(I), and/or Congress; original classification authority review; damage assessments; and more.
- Derivative Classification IF103.16
- Safeguarding Classified Information in the NISP IS109.16
- Classified Storage Requirements Short
- Disposal and Destruction Short
- Data Spills Short
- Security Incident Reporting Requirements Short
- Developing an Incident Response Capability
- ISOO Notice 2017-04: Security Classification Guides
Toolkit feedback/suggestions? Email email@example.com.