- Immediately protect the information
- Report unauthorized disclosure
Consider the following resources for more information on securing classified information, including information on the Internet or other media formats, negligent disclosure of classified information or “spills”, and spills involving controlled but unclassified information.
Security Personnel and Other Authorities
- Investigate the incident
- Impose sanctions
- Report to Congress, if required
- Conduct damage assessment
Consider the following resources for more information on incident response, including those involving special access program, controlled unclassified information, and data spills; potential required reporting to the FBI, DSS, OUSD(I), and/or Congress; original classification authority review; damage assessments; and more.
- Derivative Classification IF103.16
- Derivative Classification Refresher IF109.16
- Safeguarding Classified Information in the NISP IS109.16
- Downgrading and Declassification Short
- Classified Storage Requirements Short
- Disposal and Destruction Short
- Data Spills Short
- Security Incident Reporting Requirements Short
- ISOO Notice 2017-04: Security Classification Guides
Toolkit feedback/suggestions? Email email@example.com.