Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I use the virtual environment?
- Why doesn't STEPP recognize the course I took as complete?
- What do I do if I get "kicked out" of Internet Explorer or if I get a popup window with a little red "x" in it?
- My screen is frozen on, "Rebooting virtual. Please wait."
- Why does the virtual machine need access on port 8080?
- The virtual machines for the practical exercises aren't loading.
- I can't access the virtual part of the training.
- STEPP is requesting I run ActiveX control.
- What do I do if I receive a warning about this website's security certificate?
- The classroom becomes unresponsive when navigating through a lesson.
- How do I get a 3D plugin/web player?
My screen is frozen on, "Rebooting virtual. Please wait."
This is generally a sign that port 8080 is blocked at some point in your network. Check with your firewall or system administrator to verify that port 8080 is open (for both incoming and outgoing traffic) and that it is not being forwarded to another computer. Some anti-virus and anti-spyware software are bundled with firewalls; the software may be blocking port 8080 on your computer.
You might want to try accessing the site from another computer on the same network to see if it is limited to your computer or is a problem with your local network. If you have confirmed that port 8080 is open and the Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE) is installed on your machine and you are still having problems, running a trace route is the next best thing. If the route stops before 22.214.171.124, then the issue still resides on your network.