Derivative Classification Refresher IF109.16
Description: This course is a refresher on how to derivatively classify national security information from a classification management perspective. The course discusses the responsibilities and general principles associated with derivatively classifying information to include avoidance of over-classification, principles of derivative classification, classification prohibitions and limitations, classification levels, security classification guidance, identification and markings, information sharing, duration of classification, classification challenges, and security incidents and sanctions. This course also meets the requirement for government and industry personnel performing derivative classification duties to refresh their derivative classification training once every two years as outlined in Executive Order 13526, DoDM 5200.01, Vol. 3, DoD Information Security Program, and DoD 5220.22-M, National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM).
Course Resources: Access this course's resources
Learning Objectives: This course is designed to enable students to:
- Identify the need to avoid over-classifying material
- Identify classification prohibitions and limitations
- Identify the authorized security classification guidance sources
- Apply information sharing processes
- Apply classification duration methods
- Identify classification challenge methods
- Identify the possible sanctions levied on those who knowingly, willfully, or negligently mishandle classified material
Delivery Method: eLearning
Length: 50 minutes
Target Audience: DoD military, civilian and contractor personnel who are responsible for derivatively classifying national security information
Number of students per class: N/A
- General Requirements: N/A
- Clearance Requirements: N/A
- Attendance Requirement: N/A
- Exam Requirements: A passing score of 75 percent on the final exam (IF109.06) allows students to print a certificate of successful completion.
- ACE Credit Recommendation: (What's this?): N/A
- Professional Development Units (PDU) per SPēD: 2
System Requirements: Check if your system is configured appropriately to use STEPP.
CDSE courses are intended for use by Department of Defense and other U.S. Government personnel and contractors within the National Industrial Security Program.