Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I use the virtual environment?
- Why doesn't STEPP recognize the course I took as complete?
- What do I do if I get "kicked out" of Internet Explorer or if I get a popup window with a little red "x" in it?
- My screen is frozen on, "Rebooting virtual. Please wait."
- Why does the virtual machine need access on port 8080?
- The virtual machines for the practical exercises aren't loading.
- I can't access the virtual part of the training.
- STEPP is requesting I run ActiveX control.
- What do I do if I receive a warning about this website's security certificate?
- The classroom becomes unresponsive when navigating through a lesson.
- How do I get a 3D plugin/web player?
What do I do if I get "kicked out" of Internet Explorer or if I get a popup window with a little red "x" in it?
Make sure you have Sun's Java Virtual Machine installed on your local machine. It should be the Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE), not the J2SE Development Kit (JDK). You can check this by performing the following:
- Go to your Start menu.
- Select Run. Type "cmd", then hit OK.
- In the black box that appears, Enter "java -version", then hit Enter.
- The output should look like this:
java version "1.5.0_03"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_02-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_02-b09, mixed mode)
You may then close the command prompt. The JVM version necessary to view virtual machines must be 1.5.0 or higher. If you receive an error, or if it is a different "environment," you may need to install or reinstall Sun's Java: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp.
If you continue experiencing technical difficulties, please contact the Registrar.