Benefits of Certification
Fosters understanding of the concepts and principles deemed critical to protect the Nation's assets. Provides nationally-accredited and recognized credential transportable across the DoD, Federal Government, and Industry.
Provides a reference to determine an individual's understanding of the concepts and principles deemed critical to protect the Nation's assets and a source to increase workforce productivity. Identifies competent, mission-ready professionals and promotes interoperability.
For the Profession
Defines consistent standards which build upon professionalizing the workforce. Provides a structure for certificants to maintain competencies and assure their mission readiness.
The 10 Steps to SPēD Testing
- Notify your supervisor of your intent to participate in the SPēD Certification Program.
- Log in to (or create) your Security Training, Education, and Professionalization Portal (STEPP) account. If you have previously participated in the SPēD Certification Program, have a My SPēD Certification (MSC) account, and have tested at a Pearson VUE testing facility, skip to step 7.
- Go to your profile page in STEPP by selecting the profile link located on the top right-hand navigation bar.
- Once on the STEPP profile page, check the box indicating your desire to participate in the SPēD Certification Program.
- You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours with a link and a verification code to your new MSC account. Please note: MSC is a non-DoD commercial website.
- Verify your MSC account information using the verification code, and create your user ID and password.
- Sign in to your MSC account. Under "Forms" on the left-hand navigation bar, click "Complete a Form."
- From the "New Forms" tab, select, complete, and submit your Assessment Request Form.
- Schedule your test once you receive the email notifying you that your request has been approved.
- After you have scheduled your appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with important information for test day, including directions to the test center.
Retaking a SPēD Certification Assessment
If you do not achieve a passing score on your first attempt, cancel within 24 hours of the test time, or are a "no-show," you must wait 90 days to become eligible to test. Your My SPēD Certification (MSC) account will automatically change your status to "Eligible to Test" after this 90-day period and allow you to schedule a new assessment through Pearson VUE. If you have not achieved a passing score after two attempts, the third and any subsequent attempt will require authorization from your owning DoD Component or DoD SPēD PMO.