Registration in this program is restricted to U.S. Government civilian employees and U.S. military service members only.
Description: The "Managing a DoD Installation Security Program" course covers the ways in which the senior security manager can, by using appropriate risk-management techniques, apply a knowledge of DoD security requirements to lead development of a comprehensive, capabilities-based installation security plan. Once a plan is developed, the security professional must be able to evaluate its effectiveness and recommend changes where necessary. The first half of the course establishes the context and basics of DoD security management at the installation level, and the second half of the course builds on that knowledge through application in a variety of common security management scenarios.
Specifically, the course will address:
- Articulating and justifying requirements for an installation security program
- Preparing a comprehensive, capabilities-based, all-hazards security plan
- Organizing installation assets to support the security plan
- Training security personnel and promoting public awareness
- Determining installation security equipment requirements
- Planning for and managing the costs of security systems acquisitions
- Designing, developing, conducting, and evaluating an installation training and exercise program
- Developing and managing a corrective action program to address known deficiencies
- Liaising with local authorities
- Reviewing case studies/practical exercises
Please keep in mind that the information on this page is subject to change, as the course is developed. This course will be comparable to a three semester-hour graduate level course.
Textbooks: There is no charge for this course; however, there may be a need to purchase textbook(s) to support some of the reading and research requirements. Approximately 30 days before the semester start date, you will receive a welcome letter from CDSE which will include information on the required textbooks for this specific course.
Delivery: Virtual Instructor-led
Length: 16 weeks
Target Audience: Restricted to U.S. military members and civilian government employees.
Clearance Requirement: None
Number of students per course: 20
System Requirements: Internet Explorer 6.0, Flash Player 8, Internet bandwidth connection (DSL or better), Display 1024 x 768, Audio (16-bit sound card), Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0
Credit Recommendation (What's this?): 3 semester hours in security management, risk management, or installation management - graduate degree category.
User Notes: This course requires students to complete weekly assignments including reading, research and writing assignments similar to those required for a three semester hour college or graduate-level course. Students must make a significant commitment of time to complete these assignments.
CDSE courses are intended for use by Department of Defense and other U.S. Government personnel and contractors within the National Industrial Security Program.